Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day 3!

Today I am thankful for books! It doesn't matter what kind, I like to switch it up, read one non-fiction for every fiction. I prefer books that make you think of the greater things in life, something beyond our everyday thoughts. Lucas and I both share a love for reading. Often after Layla is in bed for the night, we will both grab our books and head to the couch! It is very different reading with a toddler around. I remember the days before Layla, on a rainy Saturday or Sunday, I could curl up on the couch and read a good book in one day! It is sure not like that around here anymore but I know that there will be plenty of time once I have raised my kids to spend a whole day in a book. Lucas and I have joked that we would love about a 3 day vacation to just go sit on the beach and do nothing but read.... Super Dorks I know. Since being in Atlanta, I have joined a book club and LOVE it! So far they have chosen books that I would not normally choose so it has been very eye opening. We meet the last Tuesday of every month to discuss the book of the month. It is all women that I also attend Stroller Strides with. So not only do we share a passion for reading, but we are also all busy moms who like to exercise. :)

I will read just about anything that is fiction besides those cheesy, nasty romance novels. I prefer to not fill my mind with that filth. In non-fiction, my topics lately have been christian parenting, potty training, discipline, & prayer. Currently I am reading 2 books:

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. This book is my November book for book club. It is about Brigham Young's 19th wife and the topic of polygamy. It is an interesting book to be reading at this time. Especially with all the buzz that polygamy has been getting lately (TLC's Sister Wives). This book I believe is fiction but based on facts.

The other book I am reading is Radical by David Platt. David Platt is a pastor of Brookhills Church of Birmingham. His church is what would be considered a "mega church". I have listened to him online for sometime and wanted to check out his book. He has a very radical yet biblical view on how the modern day christian should live everyday life. So far it has been very challenging and one of those books that you can't be the same after reading.

These are 2 very different books, I know but I am enjoying them both. I would be interested to know what everyone else is reading right now and whether they would recommend it!

Looks like Layla is thankful for books too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment