Jim: 72 years old, total hip, and total knee replacement. God knew just what I needed in a ski instructor. I tend to get very frustrated trying new skills that I cannot easily perfect. Jim was beyond patient and a great listener.
Let's start from the beginning.
Like I mentioned earlier, we have a ski in ski out cabin which means we can literally walk right off our back porch onto the ski slopes. What a great idea... That is unless you are not skilled enough to make it down! I got all geared up ( high today was 20 something) put on my skis and got onto the slopes. Then I froze, not because of the cold but because of fear. Natalie and I had ski school scheduled for 9:30 this morning and our plan was just to ski there. As soon as I got on this mountain, I quickly realized it was a BAD idea and I was driving to ski school! So that is exactly what happened.
Then I met Jim. Because I had been on skis before we got straight to work and down the mountain we went. Needless to say, my technique needed/needs ALOT of work. During my 3 hours of school we went up and down the mountain countless times. Of course we were on the green slopes. (they go in difficulty from green, blue, then black) I fell twice but Jim was always there to help me back up. By the end of our session, I was beginning to look more like a skier but I am still quite intimidated by the steepness of the mountains. Plan is to go back out with Jim for 3 more hours and hope I survive tomorrow. My goal by the end of the week is too be good enough so that I can be comfortable enough to enjoy it and not stress.
I must add that they start the kids on skis here at 3 years old! They went speeding past me with their ski instructor all day. They have NO fear! It amazes me to watch them. I can hardly imagine Layla zipping down the mountain. That is the exact reason I must become a better skier. I want to be able to enjoy this awesome experience with our children :).
Stayed tuned for an update on day 2 on the slopes!
No comments:
Post a Comment