Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I have to be honest..

Well before our fun birthday party, Layla and I had quite a morning. First of all she woke up about an hour earlier that usually screaming instead of playing in her bed. So, since Lucas was still home I sent him in to get her while I was trying to finish getting ready. For almost a year now, the first thing Layla has done every morning is nurse. Since I have been weaning her, the only nursing that we had left was the first one of the day. Well, I sat down with Layla today and she kinda bit down and I said Ow! Well, she had a melt down! She refused to nurse. Never in her life has she done that! Well, after she calmed down I tried to nurse her again and she was still screaming when she saw it. By this point I was in tears too!! After she calmed down and ate some banana, I tried one more time and she had another meltdown. So today, was the first day that she hasn't nursed! Maybe this was her way of telling me she was done. To be honest, when I started nursing, I thought this was going to be the LONGEST year of my life. After a lot of work, Layla and I worked out all the kinks and now i am definitely am an advocate for breastfeeding if at all possible. Layla has not been sick at all, not even a fever the whole first year of her life. I know this is because of God's protection but breastfeeding definitely helps. I was surprised by my reaction of tears today when she didn't want to nurse. I knew this process what inevitable, but this was the only cuddle time I got during the day with Layla. She is NEVER still. So I will see how tomorrow goes and if she wants to nurse again. Not sure if i will let her, but we will see how the morning goes!

1 comment:

  1. I remember weaning Greyson at 18 months (because I wanted to get pregnant and couldn't while nursing)....it was so emotional to me. The crazy thing is, he acted ok with it after the first couple days. It was definately harder on me than him. Its a bittersweet thing. Glad you nursed her for year, thats awesome!! Happy Birthday Layla! :)

    ReplyDelete