Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Warning: Poop and Pee mentioned a lot in this post!

As I type this, we are about to begin day 10 of Layla using the potty. We started last Monday after returning home from our Florida trip. Layla was showing a few more signs of readiness so I decided to go for it and just see what happened.

Day 1: We started the day off by going straight to panties, cute little Minnie Mouse panties:) She pretty much peed everywhere all day long. Thank God for no carpet and good weather. Every time she peed she would yell at me. That was a good sign I assumed. She did not poop this day. Perhaps she was too scared too.

Day 2: Again, straight to panties. This morning she went into our closet pantry and shut the door and peed on the floor. Later on, I saw her going straight back to the pantry, so I grabbed our portable toilet and put it in there and set her own it. She then pointed to the door and wanted it closed. We have no lights in our pantry. To my shock, she sat there for a couple of seconds and peed on the potty! I continued to set her on there every 30 mins or so and she peed on the potty throughout the day with only a couple of accidents. In the afternoon, we were playing outside washing my car and I walked away for about 30 seconds to turn back around and find her sitting on her potty. She then stood up and said poo poo and she had pooped! Only problem was, she was sitting on the potty with her panties still up. Atleast she went to the potty on her own without any prompting.

Day 3: Today the switch went off in Layla's head. I was able to ask her if she needed to go potty without forcing it upon her. She would either answer "No" or say "potty" and walk to the potty. We went through the day with only one accident and she pooped in the potty successfully (panties down) also. We even managed a trip to the park and Chick Fila (gone about an hour) and she stayed dry.

Day 4: Much the same as day three. When it came time for her to poop we were playing outside and I had taken her potty out there just in case. She said poo poo and ran toward her potty. She said "inside" wanting me to go in the garage as her potty was outside. She went and the said "all done". Privacy is definitely a must with this kid.

So we have pretty much built on day 3/4 these last few days. She does excellent at home but really has a problem with public toilets. I am sure they are scary, her feet don't even touch the ground. She has been in panties full time with an exception of a pull up at Music Class because they have a room of carpet and I don't want to ruin it for the other kids:) Of course, she is still sleeping in a diaper. We did have a breakthrough at dinner the other night with a public toilet. She began to poop in her pants and said "poo poo" so I took her to the bathroom and she sat on the toilet. She then finished her business on their huge toilet. I was so proud of her! I am so amazed how she has learned bladder control. At first she went a little bit here and there. Now she holds it an hour or more and the quantity when she goes is much more.

We are taking a trip to TN this weekend and I am hoping that doesn't totally set us back in our progress. We still have a lot to overcome (using the big pottys, and going in public) but I am totally surprised with the progress we have made so far. I would love any suggestions on what made the public toilet use easier for your kid. Layla wants her privacy and that is part of the issue. She was on the toilet the other day without the door shut and she covered her eyes thinking that would help.

I love just about every aspect of parenting. Potty Training is definitely a love/hate relationship. It is a big sacrifice on my part to be at home A LOT more but it is so fun to watch her learn so quickly when I had very little expectations.

Plus her little bottom is just so darn cute in those panties:)

1 comment:

  1. Get a Potette portable potty. It can be used as a portable potty with plastic bags that fit over the legs, or you can extend the legs and it becomes a potty seat for regular-sized toilets. It all folds up and fits into a plastic bag making it great for road trips, walks in the stroller, etc. We still have ours in the car for an emergency! We plan on potty training Laurel this Summer after our annual trip to the beach. Hope it goes as well with her as it has with Layla! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete