Today, we were just hanging out around the house watching the Masters. Layla wanted a snack so I took her to the pantry so she could see her options. She found some chips that someone had brought over when we had our softball party. We are not a big chip family so this was a real treat for her. She ate a few with no problem but then I guess one got lodge wrong. She immediately started gagging and it was obvious that her air way was blocked. I immediately turned her over and held her upside down and started the thrusts on her back. After a few seconds, whatever had lodged seemed to dislodge when ever she spit up. She then went to sit in daddy's lap to recover and after about 20 seconds she began gasping for air again only this time she was starting to turn blue and I could really see the strain in her eyes. I started to freak a bit so Lucas took control and began a mini version of the heimlech maneuver. After what seemed like forever she spit up some and started crying again. This time it was completely dislodged and after a little love she was back to herself. I think it took Lucas and I longer to recover! At one point, I think I yelled, "Call someone!". I don't know who we were going to call but I guess that was all my CPR training coming back around where they teach you to call for help. Thank God Lucas was home. We will be a totally chip free family from this point on...or until Layla is an adult:)
I have to say from working in the medical field for a few years, I have watched 2 people die, seen chest compressions a few times, and watch a man have a severe asthma attack in which I thought he was going to lose consciousness. During those times I was able to think logically, follow orders, and remain totally detached emotionally. Let me just say, today was totally different. I pray in all of Layla's life that is the most physical stress I have to ever see her body in!
On a lighter note, I am running an 8K tomorrow, probably before most of you wake up! My sweet neighbor, who could run it twice before I finish is kindly going just as a spectator to cheer me on! I am trying to beat 50 mins but I have no idea how hilly the course is so we shall see! Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment