Disciplining is hard but I am afraid that if can't be avoided much longer. I bought my first swatting tool this week and have already put it to use. Before you get your panties all in a wad about me "spanking" my baby, let me explain.
Let me start by saying that Layla is a lot like me in the sense that it doesn't take much to hurt her little heart. If I say a firm no and remove her hand from what ever it is, she has a melt down, crocodile tears and all. She has been pretty good at responding to that up to this point but now she is beginning to test the waters a bit. I tell her "Layla, no touch" and she looks me straight in the eye and deliberately continues to try and touch. I had been delaying any farther action other than just removing her from the situation that I am telling her no because I thought well maybe she doesn't quite understand yet. Well, now there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she does understand.
Other than just little things here and there, my biggest battle has been the changing table. EVERYTIME I would lie her down for a clothing change or diaper change there would be kicking and throwing her body all over the place. It was becoming quite miserable for the both of us. I would restrain her legs from the kicking and tell her no, but then she would fight and kick even harder. I know what you are thinking, not that precious little angel....Right. Lucas and I had decided a while back that we didn't want to use our hands for swatting. I never want my child to fear any part of me. Momma and daddy's hands are for hugging, back rubbing, and high fives.
SO, I bought our "rod". After reading Joe McGhee's parenting book, God knows how to raise your kids even when you don't, I went to Lowes and bought one of the smallest dow rods that they had. Joe's book is one of the best on parenting that I have read and would definitely recommend it! One of the things he mentions is that no tool used for discipline is more biblical than an actual rod. Made sense to me, and because this is my first time at this whole parenting thing (poor Layla), I bought a rod! Now don't let me get all super spiritual, if I need to have a coming to Jesus meeting with Layla and I don't have our little rod I will use whatever else can be found.
This is how my first and only use (thus far) of the rod went. It was after bath time and I went into her room and placed her on the table. Just as I had anticipated the fighting began. Very calmly, I grabbed her legs and said "Layla No Kicking". The restraint made her even more angry. Even though it was way beyond her understanding for me to say this, I picked up the rod and said "Layla you are going to get a swat because you disobeyed and did not stop kicking". And then I tapped her, NO Exaggeration, on her thigh with the rod. Then she froze, her eyes got really big and the crocodile tears flowed. After about maybe 8 seconds she stopped crying and layed very still. Next thing I know she is grabbing the shirt of her pjs and initiating a game of peek a boo with me. She would cover her face and I blew on her stomach. By the time she was all lotioned up and dressed she was just a cackling. This just made my heart melt. I could not remember the last time we had shared laughs on the changing table! It has been almost two days, and the rod is still lying by the pad on the changing table but I have not had to use it again. Now don't get me wrong, I know not all discipline is going to have such positive outcomes so soon but it is so nice to know that sometimes a little tough love is what is best for everyone!
I'm so proud of you! I'm totally with you on the discipline issue and think you handled it perfectly!! I love learning from you. So glad you can figure all this out FIRST! Way to go, momma!!
ReplyDeletelately i have been reflecting on the things that we learn while being a parent...especially the things we can learn about God, our Father. There are so many lessons that hit me so hard about God's great love for us and his discipline in our lives. i pray that my response would be so sensitive to the Lord's discipline. thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete