Monday, July 4, 2011

Heat, Hills, & Humidity

Today I ran the 42nd Annual Peachtree Roadrace in Atlanta. It was a 10K (6.2) miles. I ran with 54,999 other people and although the first group started at 7:30, my timed start wasn't until 8:33. So the first runners we're already enjoying their breakfast before I even started. Encouraging huh? I had been warned about this run. I had been told not to be competitive but just enjoy the atmosphere and now I know why. Here is a list of things that happened along the way:
1: I dodged all the walkers, about 85%.
2. I was offered beer, Popsicles, slushies from Mcdonalds, fresh coffee, & Krispy Kreme donuts
3. I was shot at with water guns (which felt good if not in the eye)
4. I had T-shirts launched at my head that I had to dodge
5. Saw participants waiting at the side for others who had not started with them
6. And saw a couple of people carried off course via stretcher... Too hot I assume.

To say all of this, the run down Peachtree is an experience unlike any other. It is neat to see the "main street" of the city shut down. I finished well above my goal at 1:09:51 but it was the best I had today. I don't think I'll be signing up again anytime soon. I'll wait about 6 years until Layla is ready to run with me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment