Monday, October 18, 2010

Middle Half Marathon Oct. 16, 2010

I am just realizing that I have not written on single post about my half marathon (13.1 miles) experience. Before I got pregnant with Layla I was training for the same half marathon. I was about half way through my training when I got pregnant and very sick. Running at that point was no longer an option since I could not go an hour without throwing up! Anyway, so I began training again at the beginning of the summer. My goals were to finish the race and lose my last 10 or so pounds of "Layla weight".

After a HOT summer of training, the half was this past Saturday (Oct. 16th). The race started at 7:00am with a high at 40 degrees. Much different and better than those 95+ degree temps that I had been training in. Although my goal was just to finish, I had hopes to do it in less than 2 hours and 30 minutes. It took me until about mile 4 before I could feel my hands and feet. My muscles were very tight because they weren't stretched while they were warm. When I came around mile 6, I saw my family there cheering me on! It was so encouraging. Mile 7-8 was a pretty long straightaway that got pretty boring. I didn't walk at all until mile 8 and from then on out I walked through each water station (every mile) in order to drink some water. Then at mile 9, I saw my family again. About mile 10 & 11 I felt like I had gotten a new wind. Then around mile 12 my joints (hips and knees) were really beginning to ache. I probably walked more in the last mile than I did the whole race. My legs were just done! In my training the most I had run was 10 miles, so I knew the last 3 miles were going to be a new experience. By that point I believe that most of it was mental anyway.

I accomplished my goal of finishing under 2:30, finishing at 2:23. I also accomplished my goal of losing the rest of my baby weight. I now weigh about 4 pounds less than I did before Layla.

I learned a lot of things while training for this half marathon. I remember at one point, when I had reached about mile 7,8 in my training I decided that I was done. I was tired of the commitment and really just tired of running! Lucas ever so gently reminded me of what kind of example I would be setting for Layla if I just quit. Of course, when she gets older I want her to do what she says she is going to do, when she says she is going to do it, in every area of her life.

So I continued running.

Later in my training, I came to the realization that "mental" toughness is a lot harder to gain that "physical" toughness. I learned that my mind definitely wants to quit before my body. I think by the end of the training I had more of an "I can do this" attitude than I did when I began.

Overall, it was really a great experience and I think that I would do it again. Maybe after another baby when I have that extra weight to lose again. :) I am going to try to keep running as a part of my lifestyle. It has been a good way to get "me time".
I just want to conclude by saying that running does not take skill. Anybody can be a runner. It just takes commitment to get through the first part that is extra tough. If I can complete a half marathon then you can too!
(the pics uploaded backwards in time, Sorry!)


Medal and Tag

Finish

Mile 9ish

Mile 6ish

Start

Before the Race! Trying to stay warm!

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you!!! You are such a wonderful example to your daughter! Love you!

    ReplyDelete